History of the Mudgee Show Society
The Mudgee Show traces its beginnings to 1846 when the first show was held at the site of today's Robertson Park in the township of Mudgee, New South Wales.
The Mudgee Show Society was founded in 1880, with the first parcel of Mudgee Showground being obtained in 1881 and expanded by a second grant in November 1893. The Mudgee Show Society is a volunteer organisation dedicated to keeping the tradition of country agricultural shows alive by providing the community with an outlet to display and view the stock, crafts and produce of the district on a truly local family entertainment day.
The Mudgee Show today reflects the revival of interest in the country lifestyle, particularly the diverse variety of country lifestyles and occupations available in the Mudgee region. The Mudgee Show is our district on exhibition. It promotes not only the fine produce from the area, the talent of local craftspeople, and the expertise of local animal husbandry; the Mudgee Show shows off the people of Mudgee and surrounding region to their greatest advantage. The number of visitors to the Mudgee Show is usually in excess of 6000.
The Mudgee Show Society places a strong emphasis on education with loads of hand-on activities and experiences for the children and youth in our community, and by encouraging interaction with the local high school in relation to Arts & Crafts as well as Agriculture, Design, and Food Technology.
Established in 1846, it is the second oldest continually operating show society in NSW after Hawkesbury (established in 1845). Since its inception, it has staged the annual show for the benefit of the greater community and has become an integral part in the life of Mudgee and the region.